Top 10 Tips for Safe Holiday Road Travel
- Know the difference between winter weather advisories. The National Weather Service issues several cautions, understand the differences between them before you hit the road:
- Winter weather advisories informs you of conditions that may be hazardous, but should not become life threatening when using caution.
- Winter storm watch means that severe winter conditions may affect your area and is issued 12-36 hours in advance of major storms.
- Winter storm warning means a storm bringing four or more inches of snow/sleet is expected in the next 12 hours or six or more inches in 24 hours.
- Blizzard warning means that snow and strong winds will produce blinding snow, deep drifts, and life-threatening wind chill.